YDAS Policy and Research Officer
APPLICATIONS CLOSE 10AM MONDAY 24 APRIL 2017
Hours: 3-4 days (22.8-30.4 hours) per week
Remuneration: $59,280 – $69,160 p.a. (pro-rata). Classified at SCHCADS Award Level 4 (YACVic pays above award rates).
Status: Fixed-term contract until 31 December 2017, with potential to be extended, subject to funding.
Location: Based in Melbourne CBD, with occasional state-wide travel.
About Youth Affairs Council of Victoria (YACVic)
The Youth Affairs Council of Victoria (YACVic) is the peak body and leading policy advocate on young people’s issues in Victoria. YACVic’s vision is that young Victorians have their rights upheld and are valued as active participants in their communities. YACVic is an independent, not-for-profit, member driven organisation that represents young people (aged 12-25 years) and the sector that works with them.
YACVic Youth Disability Advocacy Service (YDAS)
YDAS is a core YACVic agency, funded by the Victorian Government. YDAS undertakes individual and policy advocacy to support young people with disabilities to have a stronger voice, reduce the barriers that they experience and improve their quality of life.
About the role
The YDAS Policy and Research Officer will undertake research and consultation with young people with disability and other stakeholders to inform YDAS policy and systemic advocacy. This will focus upon roll-out of and transition into the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS), along with other key issues and topics impacting upon the human rights of young people with disability.
The YDAS Policy and Research Officer coordinates and writes YDAS policy submissions and policy papers. The role also coordinates and facilitates the YDAS steering committee, a group of young people with a range of experiences of disability who volunteer their time and expertise to guide and inform YDAS and its work.
- Undertake research and consultations with young people with disability and other YDAS stakeholders that inform YDAS systemic advocacy, focusing upon the NDIS.
- Coordinate and write YDAS submissions, reports and policy papers and prepare briefings for the YDAS Manager, YDAS communications and stakeholders.
- Research with and provide information to young people with disability about their human rights, including via YDAS communications channels.
- Engage with and represent YDAS in research and policy networks, meetings and forums.
- Coordinate and facilitate the YDAS Steering Committee.
- Work closely with other YDAS team members and the YDAS steering committee to build a consistent, well networked and highly respected source of information, support and advocacy for young people with disability.
- Attend regular YDAS and YACVic staff meetings and participate as a member of the wider YACVic staff team.
- Carry out any other duties senior managers may assign to you, having regard to your skills, training and experience.
- Demonstrated commitment to the rights and interests of people with disability and proven understanding of systemic issues facing young people with disability.
- Proven ability to build rapport and work effectively with young people.
- Proven strong research and writing skills, with the ability to make complex topics accessible and relevant to diverse audiences.
- Demonstrated understanding of appropriate behaviours when engaging with children and young people, including those with diverse needs and/or backgrounds, and commitment to the Code of Ethical Practice for the Victorian Youth Sector.
- Highly developed organisational skills, with the ability to balance multiple tasks and deadlines.
- Willingness and capacity to travel throughout Victoria and work occasional evenings or weekends as required.
- Undergraduate or postgraduate qualifications relevant to the role (e.g. social/youth work, public policy).
- A well-developed understanding of the NDIS.
- Experience of advocacy or campaigning to create policy change.
The YDAS Policy and Research Officer reports to the YDAS Manager.
The YDAS Policy and Research Officer is a YACVic employee. YACVic is an Equal Opportunity Employer. People with disability are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
YACVic promotes the safety, wellbeing and inclusion of all children and young people, including those with a disability, those who are Aboriginal or those from refugee or migrant backgrounds. We take child protection very seriously. All employees are subject to screening and assessment against child safety standards, including rigorous background, identity and reference checks. The successful applicant will require a current Working with Children Check and Police Check (costs reimbursed) and must agree to adhere to our child safe policy and code of conduct.
Applications should be addressed to Leah van Poppel, YDAS Manager, and emailed email@example.com with ‘YDAS Policy Application’ in the subject line and must include:
- a brief cover letter/email stating where you saw the job advertised,
- your resume, including contact details for a minimum of two referees, including your last line manager (we will not contact referees without your permission),
- a separate document detailing your response to each selection criteria, as stated in the position description.
Applications close Monday 24 April 2017 at 10am AEST.
Interviews will be held on Wednesday 26 April in Melbourne CBD.
If you have any questions about the role, please contact Leah van Poppel on 9267 3709 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
YACVic and YDAS acknowledge the support of the Victorian Government.